[DeTomaso] Who is going to be at WOT long enough to needFancySchmantzy Race Oil? 6- PANTERA OIL

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Sep 7 15:47:46 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/7/07 11 49 35, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> So what top end do you think I can really get to?  100, 105, 110?
> From this post, it looks like I shouldn't expect too much.

Asa Jay,

A stock Pantera in good shape will reach redline in 5th gear, given enough
room to accelerate, which is 160 mph, give or take.

The real question is, what speeds do you expect the event organizers will
allow you to run?   Or in fact will they even let you run at all?   Tires are the
main issue; you will almost assuredly have to replace your tires before
they'll let you near the place, and while speed-rated tires in appropriate sizes
are available for both the front and rear, *matching* speed-rated tires aren't.
 There's absolutely nothing wrong with running Kumhos in the back and
Bridgestones in the front (or whatever) but the tire tech people are way, way
overboard on this stuff.   You will probably have to come up with a plan, then sell
it to them before you execute.   Get approval in advance for your chosen
front/rear tire combo before you spend a dime on tires.

Once that's done, you're set.   A perfectly stock Pantera will happily run
130 mph for hours on end--that's what they were built for, remember.   As you're
not turning or braking much, even a stock oil pan is sufficient (although a
proper Armando/Aviaid oil pan is always a good idea).

Good luck and have fun!