[DeTomaso] 1972 Cannonball

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Fri Sep 7 12:02:17 EDT 2007

Dear Phil,

As has been mentioned, Brock Yates' book does discuss a Pantera or two in the early years. After I read the book, I was keen to know more about the Hopkins (IIRC, it was a father and son team that made the Run). I contacted a fellow who is the reputed official Cannonball Run Historian. He told me a bit about the Hopkins. They were in Los Angeles. Donny was a businessman in roofing or construction or car dealership (I can't recall exactly). He didn't know or have any other information on them.

I did some internet searches trying to turn up a trace of the business or the Hopkins, but I had no luck. I even had one or two SoCal POCA members scout the area with no results either.

I was hoping to find them and write an article about their recollections of the Run, but........no luck. If any SoCal Forum member reads this and happens to know something, then let me know.

Warmest regards, Chuck Engles