[DeTomaso] Armando Pan - 8 quarts or 10

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 13:48:29 EDT 2007

> Maybe Dan can weigh-in on this one.

I agree with Goran.  10 quarts is an arbitray number.  You want to
keep as much of the crank out of the oil as possible to keep windage
down.  Run 8 quarts and watch your oil pressure gauge in hard corners
and braking and high RPM.  If it holds steady, there's no need to add
more oil.

> Back when Boss 351s were new, Mike Cook found that at high rpms,
> one quart was up in each head's rocker covers (very small drain-back
> holes in Cleveland heads) and one was in the filter so that only
> left two or so qts in the pan.

Ford knew about that from the Boss 302 Trans Am days.  In one of
their publications they show how to run external drain lines from
the valve covers to the oil pan.  It's a good thing to elongate
the drain holes and smooth the drain back flow path.

Dan Jones