[DeTomaso] Armando Pan - 8 quarts or 10

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Sep 6 13:32:44 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/05/07 7:54:08 PM, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

>Are these things 8 or 10  quarts?  I put 8 quarts in, ran the motor for a
while to make sure the new filter was flooded and let it sit to settle while I
was working on something else.  When I checked the dipstick with the 8 quarts
in, it registers just below the full line.

Back when Boss 351s were new, Mike Cook found that at high rpms, one quart
was up in each head's rocker covers (very small drain-back holes in Cleveland
heads) and one was in the filter so that only left two or so qts in the pan.
Ford got tired of paying for warranty claims on spun bearings etc, so with their
usual no-cost-to-them 'fix', they recommended over-filling a stock 5 qt pan to
6 qts, expecting the extra quart would keep the pump inlet from going dry at
high rpms.

When "10-quart" pans for racing came out, they used the same architecture as
the stock pan, so the famous 10-qt-pan holds 8 qts when filled to the stock
dipstick line. By over-filling it like Ford said for a stock pan, the big pan
WILL hold 10 qts. Completely un-necessary, though since the big pan's extra
volume plus the trap doors and better baffling keeps more oil around the pump
pickup.

You already know where 8 qts is on your dipstick. If it makes things easier
to remember, fill to the full line and be confident you'll have no oiling
issues. My 2¢- J DeRyke
the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>