[DeTomaso] Armando Pan - 8 quarts or 10

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Sep 6 00:34:24 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/5/07 19:54:10, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

<< I've just done the first full oil/filter change on my new motor with an
Armando oil pan.  Are these things 8 or 10  quarts?  I put 8 quarts in, ran
the motor for a while to make sure the new filter was flooded and let it sit
to settle while I was working on something else.  When I checked the
dipstick with the 8 quarts in, it registers just below the full line.
Should I add the other 2 quarts?  >>

>>>You should add enough oil to bring it up to the full mark.  With an
ordinary pan, a good rule of thumb is that it only takes one quart to get from the
"low" to the "full" mark.  But these pans are so much wider, it takes
considerably more than that.  Keep adding oil until it's full on the dipstick.

This, of course, presumes that your car has a proper-length dipstick.  The
early cars had a too-long dipstick, resulting in chronically low amounts of oil
in the early cars (that's where the old adage of 'run an extra quart' came
from).  The actual length of the dipstick from the tip of the stick to the cap
which goes over the end of the tube should be exactly 38 inches; early dipsticks
were black, and the handle was painted yellow after they were modified by the
dealers; later cars came with yellow dipstick handles from the factory.

So measure yours, and if it's not right, fix it. :>)

Mike<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get a sneak peek
of the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>