[DeTomaso] Another Pantera in town (St. Louis, MO)

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 12:33:32 EDT 2007

> Geez, can we assume you have expanded your parts biz?

No parts biz.  This is just some stuff I've accumulated along the way.

> Wotz the history on the FMX and 427 FE side oilers. Specs? Prices?

The so-called FMX block is the 400 that will bolt directly to the ZF using
the original bellhousing.  Think of it as a one inch taller deck Cleveland
block with plenty of room for longer strokes and rods.  Inexpensive 4.25"
stroker kits are available now that yield 430 to 440 cubic inches while
maintaining a conservative ring pack and rod/stoke ratio.  The one I have
is set up for bushed lifters.  BTW, did you guys see there are four (and
possibly a fifth) production block 400's entered in the 2007 Engine Masters
competiton, including one by Jon Kaase.

The 427's were built by a local Ford engine guru who died a few years
ago.  They were his personal truck pull engines.  The primary is 486
cubes with Lemans rods and made over 750 HP on the dyno.  The backup
is 454 cubes.

> Wotz really for sale

I suppose any of it is for sale.  I'm going to need to shed some of the
stuff that I'll never get around to using.

> and wot is actually going to race someday (yea as in 2008)! ;-]>

I have no plans to race the Pantera.  Even with the lowered floor pans,
I don't fit with a helmet on.

Dan Jones