[DeTomaso] Oil problem

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 13:19:29 EDT 2007

On 9/3/07, Asa Jay Laughton <asajay at asajay.com> wrote:

> Ewww,
>
> Been there, done that.  Two problems.  First, all your stock valve stem
> seals now reside in your pan.  They get old and very crispy, then break
> into smaller chunks and make their way to the pan from the heads.  I bet
> if you take off a valve cover, you might find some leftovers in there
> too.  When I did my very first 351C, I found pieces everywhere,
> including in between coils on valve springs.  Yuck is an understatement.

There were pieces under the valve covers too, but I'm replacing the heads :)

Second, it looks to me like someone has been watering your engine.  Lots
> of water, way too much water, you've struck water in an oil field.  You
> get the point.
>
> I think I'd rebuild.

That's water I was spraying around washing off the filth and ick.  But that
doesn't mean it's not time for a rebuild :)   It's not too bad in there.
It's already bored .030 over, 2 bolt mains, new timing set. The cylinder
walls look good, and the oil pressure was fine when I had it at all. It's
been through a lot, but I think it will last a few thousand more miles while
I set up a real engine for it.  I'm going to baseline and EFI system on it,
so if I accidentally go too lean and trash it, I won't be too unhappy.

sean

--
'65, '68 Mustangs, '68 Cougar, '78 R100/7, '71 Pantera #1382