[DeTomaso] gas tank question

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Tue Sep 4 11:33:27 EDT 2007

Thanks--I'll take a look and see what's under my air cleaner, but I think
I'll probably need those parts you mentioned.  I'll see if I can find an
auto parts store that can get them for me.  The only thing I wonder is
having a tube from the gas tank terminating at a place where sometimes
backfires occur.  If flames shot up from the carb and that vent hose had
fumes coming out of it from the gas tank, it seems to me that would be an
invitation for an explosion.

By the way, last night I took a closer look at that shift problem you solved
for me--I jacked up the car and had my son get in and run it through the
gears (with the car turned off, of course!).  Guess what--your observation
that the trunion was moving too much was right on--there is a tab that's
part of the bracket attached to the frame that holds the trunion, and it was
supposed to be spot welded to the frame.  The weld had come undone, so the
bracket was flexing since the tab was, in essence, one of the supports that
was supposed to keep it rigid.

Since I don't have a welder, I drilled a hole through the tab and frame and
ran a bolt through to re-attach the tab to the frame and it worked!  Now,
nothing rubs, nothing flexes and although I haven't driven it yet, my guess
would be the second gear problem is probably solved.

Thanks again!

Chris