[DeTomaso] Update on stupid lower a-arm saga

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 11:44:55 EDT 2007

First of all, thanks to all for your input regarding my problem. It has been
extremely helpful to hear the various points of view, and thanks to everyone
I now have a better idea of a plan.

Mike Dailey - I should have begun with PanteraPlace... you did a great job
documenting your work. I don't know why I didn't look there before beginning
the task?

Summarizing, there are two designs of rear a-arm shafts rebuild kits. One is
sold by Quella/Marino/? and the other apparently by Pantera
Proformance/Hall/?

Marino's has a split, teflon-coated bearing, which the Byers' is a solid
copper part.

Marino's has a grease fitting in each end of the shaft, and grease exits
between the shaft and the sleeve, and then between the sleeve and the
bearing.

Byers' comes with a pair of grease fittings - you drill the hub carrier and
through the bushings. Grease therefore enters between the bearing and the
sleeve.

My problem, just to repeat, was that the sleeve fits in the bearing just
fine when on the workbench, but installing the bearing in the hub carrier
compresses it ever so slightly, making it impossible to insert the sleeve.

My plan is to order one rebuild kit from Marino/Quella to see if I have the
same problem. I have several e-mails from people indicating that their
installation went smoothly with this design. I appear to not be the only
person with this same problem with the other kit. If I have no problem with
the Marino/Quella kit, then we know that there is a dimensional problem with
the other kit - the tolerances are just too tight to allow assembly. If I
have the same problem, well, then I need to investigate other options.

It would appear that my car isn't going anywhere in the near future anyway -
if anyone wants to see a video of what a u-joint looks like when it is
completely shot I'll be happy to send them the file I made of what I
discovered while poking around in the area last week :-(

Anyway, thanks again for all the help and support. It has been tremendously
helpful.

Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness across Europe"
http://members.aol.com/PanteraGT5S1985/