[DeTomaso] gas tank question

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Sat Sep 1 18:41:26 EDT 2007

I have a recently coated and refurbished gas tank in my '72 which was
installed in January.  Today I filled the tank (probably more full than I
should have) and as I was dusting off my car in the warm sunshine, I noticed
gas dripping onto the driveway.

I checked, and I saw that gas was seeping out of the top of the tank both
where the fuel line comes out and where the air-vent is located.  On the air
vent I have just a short tube with one of those "ball in tube" safety deals
so air can go into the tank, but gas can't come out of it if I ever flip
over.

It occurred to me the heat was obviously causing the gas to expand and since
the fuel cap is sealed, there would be nowhere for the gas to go, other than
force its way out via the path of least resistance.

I put the car in the garage where it is much cooler, wiped the gas from the
top of the tank, waited to be sure there would be no more seepage and ran a
bead of gas-resistant silicone rubber around both the fuel line connector
and the air vent connector where they attach to the tank, to seal them.

I then realized that if the same situation happens again, gas will, once
again want to go somewhere, and perhaps the new path of least resistance
will be something worse!

Did I do the right thing by sealing the seepage, or have I done something
really dumb?  Is there some sort of gas cap that would help this situation?

I'm hoping to drive to Seattle tomorrow for a car show, about an hour each
way, and I don't want to go up in flames!!!

Thanks,

Chris

PS:  I also noticed the fuel line runs down the engine bay to the bottom of
the engine, passing within inches of the headers, which get HOT, so I
covered the hose with that silver-on-one-side, sticky-black-goo-on-the-other
side heat shield stuff.  It may not help, but I figure it couldn't hurt!