[DeTomaso] Checking Steering Rack

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Tue Oct 30 23:16:58 EDT 2007

While driving the Pantera into the office last Saturday, I had quite a time
on the freeway keeping the car in a straight line on the ruts and uneven
pavement.  The car would pull to one side, then the other, and lane changes
were usually anything but smooth, feeling like something was pushing me
sideways from one lane to the next.  On smooth pavement, it's great.  I've
done a complete overhaul on every other aspect of my front end, from new
ball joints and tie rod ends, to bushings, bearings, new hubs and an
alignment.

I have planned to put a set of the offset front bushings in to increase
caster, but I am beginning to wonder if my steering rack needs
rebuilding/replacing.  That is the one thing I've not updated.  How do you
check the health of your steering rack for wear?

Thanks
Mike Thomas