[DeTomaso] HOLLEY GAS LEAK / Dick Ruzzin

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Oct 25 14:33:14 EDT 2007

In a message dated 10/24/07 3:32:12 PM, Dickruzzindesign at aol.com writes:

> Apparently the leak occurs when the accelerator pumps are activated. Are
> the throttle shafts worn, can it leak when the accelerator pumps are activated?
> What should I look for in terms of repair? Any similar history?

Whats likely happening is, the base casting is worn egg-shaped where the
throttle shafts touch. Positive pressure pulses in the intake are blowing fuel/air
out along the throttle shafts. FWIW, Webers use sealed ball bearings on both
sides of the throttle shafts. For U.S carbs, there were 3 fixes that I know
of. The first involved removing the throttle plates and shafts, then drilling a
small chamfer in the base casting on both sides and adding a small teflon
o-ring & washer to each side, with a light coil spring to bear against the washer,
forcing the o-ring into the chamfer. The soft teflon has practically no drag
on the shaft and will quickly conform to the v-shaped chamfer, sealing it
nicely. Clarks Corvair on the East Coast used to sell a kit; dunno if they still
do. Tedious but practically no-cost and effective even for blow-through
turbochargers. A second way was to remove the throttle plates &
shafts as before, and bore each side of the base for a small bronze bushing
that lightly press-fits into the casting, then ream to size. A little more
trouble but more permanent. Finally, you can replace your worn base with one thats
not; this involves only removing the throttle base screws & swapping over
from a junkyard core. Good luck- J DeRyke