[DeTomaso] Cleveland "Tunnel Port" Heads on ebay

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Oct 24 15:50:07 EDT 2007

Ford tried tunnel port heads on 289 hi-po engines but found there was no
advantage over simply putting bigger valves in a std head. Chevys have a problem
with the intake pushrod causing a lump in the intake port but Fords do not.
These are likely salvaged experimental castings, like the few OHC heads DeTomaso
cast up for the Cleveland, and found the same thing- no advantage beyond
weight savings. I wasn't aware Ford ever cast up tunnel-port heads for a 351 of any
type; I'd be interested in whether the combustion chambers are
ultra-high-compression. FWIW- J DeRyke