[DeTomaso] Clutch Options-long

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Oct 24 15:33:20 EDT 2007

In a message dated 10/24/07 7:35:54 AM, cengles at cox.net writes:

> Dumb question: I have been told that one *could* take the throwout bearing
> (I think that's right....) and have a machinist remove .030" off of it. This
> is supposed to a) have no detremental effect on the bearing and b) provide
> extra clutch-flywheel disengagement room, perhaps in excess of .050-.060". Is
> that true?

No. Shortening the bearing or its holder will only require you to reset the
freeplay at the bellhousing, resulting in the same disengagement you now have-
at vast extra expense & effort. The limitation is not in the clutch, throwout
or its mechanical links, but the hydraulic-leverage of our system. By
decreasing the slave cylinder internal size or increasing the clutch master cylinder
internal size, more travel will be put into the throwout and its linkage,
resuilting in more disengagement at the flywheel. Your friend is attacking the
wrong end of the problem IMHO. And on both your later Panteras, the under-dash
clutch linkage may have worn pins and links, cutting down the maximum theoretical
travel possible. Mine were pretty bad in two places.
FWIW, not only a long-throw slave cylinder but also a concentric
hydraulic-throwout accomplishes the longer disengagement distance, and the hydraulic
throwout also decreases friction in the stock clutch linkage so radically that my
OEM Long pressure plate feels like a diaphragm clutch, its so easy to push in!
The drawback of course is the absolute necessity of setting the internal
free-play correctly, and the need to remove the whole ZF to adjust again if you get
it wrong. Cheers- J DeRyke