[DeTomaso] Adding electric choke

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Oct 23 02:38:57 EDT 2007

In a message dated 10/22/07 4:55:02 PM, msm at portata.com writes:

> I am also thinking about adding an electric choke.  It looks like the
> installation onto the carb should be easy enough, but what about hooking it up to
> the Pantera?  Is it much effort?  Is it worth it?

Yes, in easier starts and quicker drive-away with less backfiring during warm
up. Find the large red terminal at the back of your alternator and hook the
choke's hot-wire to it, grounding the small black to a convenient carb part.
According to SOBill, this applies 6VDC to the choke so you can now adjust it to
work properly on your Pantera. It does not work on GM alts adapted to the Ford
'cause there's no 'red' terminal, I found. FWIW, hooking the red hot-lead to
the 12VDC hot lead on the ignition coil sucks voltage away from the ignition,
and at least with points 'n coil or early electronic ignitions using a ballast
resistor, it reduces voltage below that needed to run over about 4800 rpms in
any gear. This gives you a no-cost rev-limiter.... Good luck- J DeRyke.