[DeTomaso] oil dipstick

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Oct 21 19:59:19 EDT 2007

In a message dated 10/21/07 4:02:02 PM, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

> we measured mine and it turns out it's 39" (starting from the top, inside
> the cup, all the way to the end).  I'm showing 1/2 quart low on the dipstick
> right now, but is that dipstick too long for an accurate reading?  Note:  My
> car came with an after-market, larger oil pan of no known providence.

1- the correct dipstick length will be 38" long from the bottom (not the
inside) of the cup-stop to the tip. An extra 3/4-1" will certainly give erroneous
readings & if filled to the too-long mark, can cause oil leakage around the
main seals. I'd fix it- but measure again first.
2- an aftermarket oil pan thats properly made will read corrctly with a stock
dipstick, as long as its not a drag race unit with a sump hanging below the
subframe rails. A big pan's extra volume is from a longer sump thats the same
depth as stock, not a deeper deeper sump. Good luck- J Deryke