[DeTomaso] Infrared Thermometers

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Oct 20 14:49:29 EDT 2007

In a message dated 10/19/07 4:15:03 PM, artstephens at charter.net writes:

> I just bought an IR thermometer from Sears that measures up to 1000 degrees
> F.  I am wondering if I should get one that measures higher temps? If
> exhaust gas temps are too high, could that be measured by pointing this thing at
> the headers   I have seen my headers glow red at night while spinning the
> engine up to 5 or 6,000 rpm. It seems that maybe these could be used on a dyno as
> well?

Maybe if the gauge is an expensive one. I bought one like yours a few years
ago with a 0-1000F range and tried it at idle a few inches out from the header
flange (pipe temp drops off incredibly fast with distance from the heads). It
turns out that these gauges have a projected spot size that influences the
temp read, and the influence grows as the temp increases or the distance from the
heat source increases. Even using the built-in laser aim and getting close
enough to be uncomfortable,   I was unable to hit the same temp twice on my
headers. A variation of only a few thousandths of an inch in the spot selected
gave over 100 degrees F difference. It works fine at lower temps like checking
radiators or my tortoise's night time temp without disturbing him, but the
variation is just too much at 800 degrees with cheap gauges IMHO. Try it with yours
about 6" out and see what I'm talking about. Good luck- J DeRyke