[DeTomaso] Unusual Pantera... and trivia geeks

www.ProvaMo.com Pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 19 16:45:13 EDT 2007

Listers,

In adding cars to the Registry, I came across this one, 7412.

Using the search function with 7412 at

http://www.provamo.com/Members/Registry/ProvaMoRegistry.asp

You'll see a "1975" Pantera.
(For those that have participated in the Photo Registry anyway...)

I've contacted the owner and I'm waiting for a reply.

(Q1)  This car has a sunroof, among other features.  I presume that the
Factory never did sunroofs?  (Including Pavsi work for the Factory)

Anyone know?

Over it's life this car has seen some mods (Webers + cut decklid) 180
exhaust etc... So I would not be surprised that it was added post-factory.
I just don't know for sure.

I know once Ford started the BSN in July 1972 (using 50000 for Panteras and
30000 for USA GTS models).

I wondered if the Euro cars also received a BSN.  Some searching thru the
Registry indicates that the BSN was affixed for both Euro delivery and USA
bound cars.  Not to be unexpected really.  But I have LOTS of Euro-bound
cars without a BSN.
(Q2) Was this a hit 'n miss effort or?

For this specific car my notes list a BSN that begins with 4, not a 3 or 5.
More research indicates that some cars had a BSN that began with a 6 (Euro
GTS examples).  I would have presumed that Post-Ford DeTomaso would have
dropped the BSN effort.

(Q3)  Does anyone have a (photo of a) 1975+ or even a 1980+ Pantera with a
BSN?

Mike Drew, or other trivia geeks...

(Q4)  What say you about BSNs starting with numbers other than 3 and 5.  And
what might the alternate numbers indicate?

Today's Trivia Question instigated by Byron.

Chuck Melton
www.DeTomasoRegistry.org

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5:10 AM