[DeTomaso] Brake Caliper Question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Oct 17 22:31:25 EDT 2007

In a message dated 10/17/07 5:26:38 PM, loudonc at comcast.net writes:

> Thanks to all who responded on this. I apologize for not being clear. The
> pistons can push back, but upon applying brake pedal pressure the pistons only
> come back out a limited amount, not matter how much pressure is applied at
> the pedal. I expected that the pistons would push the pads out.

Yes, it should.   However, there are locking rings which (probably) prevent
the pistons from coming all the way out of the bores.

The caliper overhaul procedure (for the front calipers) is on page 12-10-02
of the factory shop manual.   Please tell me you have a factory shop manual?
For the rear brakes it's absolutely critical as they are very strange, and the
procedure to overhaul them is complicated.

For the front calipers (which is what I presume you're talking about), you
remove the calipers, remove the pads, use a plastic pick to remove the retaining
rings and rubber boots from the pistons, then put a thin wood block between
the opposing pistons and use compressed air to force the pistons out of their
respective bores.

If you've removed the boots and retaining rings and the pistons won't come
out all the way, they are hung up in there, and then you will have to use
finesse and/or brutality to force/pull them out.

Oh, and the shop manual and all the associated goodies are available from the
POCA store (www.panteraclub.com), either in dead-trees or CD-ROM format.

Good luck!