[DeTomaso] Techno question:Clutch&Slave II

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Wed Oct 17 22:30:00 EDT 2007

Dear Forum,

                My thanks to all who replied.

                Tonight's chapter:   1) the space between the flywheel and the clutch disc seems to be about .022--.024" no matter whether the slave cylinder shaft length is short, medium or long.

                                             2)  I flushed the clutch hydraulic line.   No particular difference in pedal feel nor clutch (mal) function.

                                             3) when the clutch is cold, i.e. in the first 1-2 miles, all the gears are shiftable.    After a 2 mile street drive to the freeway and a 2-3 mile cruise,  I am unable to shift into fourth or fifth----only reverse and gears 1-2-3.

                     I really appreciated SOB's technique, but I am just too ignorant to pull it off.  I tried and couldn't get it to have everything fall together.

                     If the airgap between the flywheel and clutch disc is truly . 022", then does that mean that I need to move the lever arm on the bellhousing to get more airgap?   If yes, then do I move the splined lever arm forward or backward from it current setting?

                              Two roadtrips this weekend!,  Chuck Engles