[DeTomaso] Fuel vapor canister/charcoal canister.

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Oct 17 14:36:30 EDT 2007

OEM charcoal cannisters saturate with fuel and oil residue after 10 ir so
years (by smog-law, they have to last 10 years!) and the assembly becomes
worthless. Thats why we remove them on smog-exempt performance cars (25 or more years
old) that don't need such 2-lb decorations only along for the ride. Soaking
such a cannister for a month or so in paint solvent may remove most of the oily
slop but the charcoal granules inside are supposed to be "activated"- dried-
so likely you'd then have to bake it at maybe 180 degrees for an hour or so to
restore some amount of function. This baking will likely be best done by
batchelors or those that are nose-dead....
But I suspect that modern cars under smog laws still use such smog
fume-collectors so it should be simply a matter of walking around a junkyard with a tape
measue and finding one off something no older than 5 years that fits the
Panteras' clamp. Or (oh horrors!) walk into your local Ford dealer and ask the
counterman what he's got.
As I've said many times, if the tank-vent function is all you want, simply
run the vent line directly into the air cleaner base, bypassing the cannister. A
flame arresting foam filter from Fram can be added if the possibility of
backfires causing a tank fire bothers you. Note- in both of my past Weber
air-cleaner fires, both were rigged with a vent hose directly from the fuel tank, with
no foam filter, and neither fire caused a tank explosion or expanded the
fires. I do not recommend this system to Mike Drew nor any cars he's touched
though, in respect of his talents.... Cheers- J Deryke