[DeTomaso] Race Pantera at TWS

David & Marilyn Bell davidabell at worldnet.att.net
Sun Oct 14 13:09:20 EDT 2007

While working on my daughter Kate's laptop trying to troubleshoot some
internet connection problems, I ended up searching youtube using 'panteras
at tws' and happened to stumble on this in-car race video
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpdaHaWdJ3c).  It's shot from a Porsche 911
and appears to be the first lap of a CVAR (vintage) race at Texas World
Speedway.  You really get a feel for how close these cars get together
without actually touching (CVAR is a non-contact race series and even paint
rubbing results in a suspension).

But the cool part is that Tom Upton's red full-race Pantera is in the video
immediately ahead of the Porsche, along with a Lola, and a McClaren (I
think) as well as a Mustang, Camero and briefly a Corvette.  The
acceleration of Tom's Pantera is pretty phenomenal as at every straightaway
the car squats and absolutely springs away from the Porsche. The Porsche
driver is no slouch either by the way - quick in the twisty bits and very
good weaving through slower traffic.   If you turn the volume up you can
hear the Panteras + 700 hp open exhaust blasting right in your face.  I've
been on the track with Tom before and the racket his car makes is
practically mind numbing.  For speed perspective, Tom says he often hits 175
mph on the front straight during races before braking hard for the left-hand
sweeper.  Since this is the start of the race I would guess they are well
under that speed there, but still seriously cooking along.   You may also
notice the very rough transition from the banking onto the infield at the
end of the video that I mentioned in the Aldan shock post from yesterday.

We'll have to ask Tom what happened after he went wide exiting Turn #7 and
the Porsche went past.  Very cool video though.

Muscat Dave

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
7:26 PM