[DeTomaso] some rough numbers re need formula for springs needed-- was shocks for ORR

pantdino at aol.com pantdino at aol.com
Sat Oct 13 00:06:23 EDT 2007

 Thought I'd run some numbers to see how much one would have to increase spring force if my velocity squared theory is correct:

Since for some reason my equation didn't show properly before, I'll try to show this one differently:

Since kinetic energy increases as the square of the velocity, it seems to me that if you know that a set of springs is adequate at a certain velocity, you can calculate how stiff they would have to be to still be OK at a higher velocity.

(V2 squared / V1 squared) ? x??? spring force which is adequate at V1 =? spring force which is adequate at V2

using this formula, if 700 lbs is adequate at 150mph, then you would have to have 796 lb springs at 160.

At 170 you'd need 899lb springs.

Back solving for what speed 750lb springs are good for yields 155mph.

The multipliers are actually simple:

to go from 150mph to 160, multiply the spring strength by 1.1377
to go from 150mph to 170, multiply the spring strength by 1.284

So if a 750 spring is needed at 150 you'd need 963 lbs at 170.? Anyone know what NASCAR cars run?

Dennis, what exactly are you trying to prevent, the bodywork from hitting the ground or the suspension from hitting the bump stops?

Jim
?