[DeTomaso] need formula for springs needed-- was shocks for ORR

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 10:52:24 EDT 2007

Fellow Slacker! ;-]>

  I think you, Jason and others are all right on with your spring concern comments.....all the supporting feedback from mfg's and unlimited drivers is forget replacing the shocks and just make an incremental increase to the springs to the back end where I had a problem or full compression.  I currently am running 400 lb fronts and 700 lb rears.....I may have to consider raising the back end up a half inch or so too but hate doing that since the car handles so well at every other ORR and at speed be it in straights or corners of canyon road I am reluctant to make big changes.

  I'm not sure what my speed was at when I hit the first dips but its at the end of a long straight...I could  have been 150 but was probably closer to 160......so right now I am going with a 750 on rears and adding a poly shaft stop on top shock shaft for added protection....if that doesn't work I will give up the donuts, macaroons and beer. ;-]>

  thanks for your comments.

  Dawg

pantdino at aol.com wrote:

Dennis and Jason,

I freely admit that my opinion comes from a total slacker regarding ORR, but I wonder if stiffer shocks is the right way to go. My understanding is that it is not the shock's job to prevent excessive spring compression-- if that is happening, the spring is too soft. The shock's job is to dampen the spring's natural tendency to continue to let the car bounce up and down once it is disturbed. Indeed, the Brits call them "dampers" because that's what they actually do.

At the risk of boring you to tears, I had an Alfa that was "undersprung", that is, the springs were too soft.? Despite Konis set on full hard so expansion joints rattled my teeth, the car would still "porpoise" when going thru depressions at intersections for water to drain away. The car was "undersprung and overdamped."? In contrast, my MGB was "oversprung and underdamped".? It would also rattle my teeth over expansion joints but never porpoised. However, the ride was "bouncy," where you could feel the car oscillating up and down more than it should after hitting a bump.? So its dampers were not preventing the car from bouncing along in its springs.

What spring rates are you and Jason running??? I have no real world experience at this, but if Jason doesn't bottom out at 150mph, that gives you an idea of what spring rate is necessary to contain a certain amount of kinetic energy. Basically a car encountering a change in road shape is being forced to change its course from straight ahead in the vertical plane to a different trajectory. Inertia wants to keep it going straight, and the springs have to transmit force to prevent it from burrowing into the asphalt.?

It seems to me that since Kinetic Energy=1/2 Mass x? (V squared), you could get an idea of what spring force would be necessary to keep the same mass from bottoming at a different speed.? I'm afraid my physics is too rusty to give you the formula, but spring strength is measured in pounds, which is a measure of force, mass x acceleration.? The springs have to accelerate the car away from the road. If they are not strong enough, they bottom out and the whole car becomes unsprung weight. So the spring has to have enough strength to not bottom out under this extreme load.?

Again, I don't have the equations for you, but I suspect everything will drop out of the them and you'll be left with the velocity squared factor-- if the car is going twice as fast the springs will have to be 4 times as firm to prevent bottoming.?

Meaning you'd be looking at something like:

Jason's spring rate x??? Dennis' speed squared

?????????????????????????? Jason's speed squared??? =? spring rate needed to prevent Jason's car from bottoming at Dennis' speed.? If Dennis' car weights more or less than Jason's, you would correct by a simple proportion, as the M is not squared in the formula.

However, I think this also assumes that the springs in the two cars are the same length and will crush the same distance before they bind, etc, etc. But it should provide a ballpark estimate, I would think.?

Jack and the other people who really know and don't just make slacker guesses like me??

Jim Oddie