[DeTomaso] On-line POCA Newsletter (was: POCA Board Elections)

Mark McWhinney msm at portata.com
Mon Oct 8 16:44:29 EDT 2007

Hi Dan,

Currently, the PCNC makes its chapter Newsletters available to the public.
We also have an archive going back several years.  It has mostly event
information with some tech articles.  Mike Drew is the publisher.

http://www.panteraclubnorcal.com/articles/News0709.pdf

This dual on-line and paper-based publication approach has worked out well
for the PCNC.  Mike just assembles a single, large PDF file that he e-mails
to the printer and to me.  The printer prints the Newsletter, adds address
labels and postage, and postal mails them. I just pop the PDF file on to the
PCNC web site then send out an e-mail blast (aka the eNews) to let the folks
know that it is there.

There are several advantages to having the on-line Newsletters.
* Instant access vs. days for postal mail
* Full color, large format, high resolution pictures
* Ability to attach audio, video, and an other types of media such as
AutoCAD files.
* Zero additional cost

A lot of people still like the paper-based publications, so the paper-based
Newsletters and Profiles will be with us for a long time.

We have discussed putting the POCA Newsletters on-line.  However, since the
Newsletter and Profiles are a big reason for people joining POCA, we would
want to put them on a members-only part of the web site.  I believe that
this is a fair restriction, since only POCA members get the paper-based POCA
publications anyway.

To make this online publication happen, we would have to build in a
registration and user login capabilities into the web site, which takes some
time and effort.  Also, we would need to get buy-in from all the folks
involved.

In the mean time, I would like to set up a read-only, publicly-available
"photo-album"-style section that has the full color pictures from articles
in the Newsletter as mentioned a few days ago.

Mark