[DeTomaso] SHOCKS & SPRINGS

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 6 14:51:43 EDT 2007

Mad Dog Antenucci <teampantera at yahoo.com> wrote:    Depends on your road and driving conditions and the 450 opinions on this List ;-]>.....

  I've went with about 4-5 different shock/spring combination's.

  Early Aldan shocks  didn't have a good reputation for competition here but I have been running ALDAN gas double adjustables with ride adjustable height (threaded shock & color) for 7 years now and am happy with them.....Bilsteins have a heavier duty shaft but they are also about a 1/3 more $$$$....but I heard yesterday Aldan will build a custom shock or give you anything you want that Bilstein will sell you and they will do so for a competitive price. More then anything else I like the fact that Aldan is also about 15 miles from my house ;-)))
  Which is the real reason! Customer service has been great. I go through Bobby Byers/Precision Pro-formance here in California and they have equally been great to deal with.

  I'm currently running 400 lb front springs and 700 rear.....EARLY on I used heavier 450 front springs and sway bar then went smaller on both and handling improved going to a lighter front spring (less push/understeer in corners).

  I also went to a heavier rear spring for 'real-road' (open road race) conditions. I don't think anyone needs them unless they are planning to push beyound 150 in portions of the orr roads where there are lots of hills and dips and off camber turns.

  In 20+ years I have also added extended upper rear a-arms, replaced rubber bushings with poly then replaced those with poly graphite, then replaced those and went back to rubber and then back to graphite poly and finally with 'delrin' which many people on the list said I would regret.....and did not....also went with added 5 degrees of caster which others also said not to do due to increased steering effort and I also never noticed any increased steering effort either but did notice definate inprovement in high speed handling with the added caster.  Right now the Pantera just handles like it is on rails in corners be it on the track or an open road race. Like everything and everybody results will differ.
  md

sigbjørn eskeland <sig916 at gmail.com> wrote:
  have someone a good idea where to buy shock dampers to my car.. it has to be
double adjustable and height adjustable..
and good ones.. we are not talking about ølins, but good ones for a good
price..
and was the spring rate 450 in front and 550-600 in the back?

sigbjørn
Norway