[DeTomaso] Wheel bearing issues

Dagny Kristine Bakken dagny-kr at online.no
Thu Oct 4 16:17:21 EDT 2007

No matter what car,i agree with Tomas that there is no good(safe) in setting
up a pair of tapered roller bearings for the wheels,with preload.The
conseqenses of going to tight is in worst case dangerous,and the only
drawback from having a little play,is that the bearings will last a little
shorter.A common place were a preload of the tapered bearings are needed
(for accuracy)and safe if done right,are in transmissions and
differentials,but the better cooling and lubing from the oilbath they work
in makes them less vulnerable.The adjustmentnut and its lockingfeature is of
great importance,as there must be enough alternatives so that it can be
locked in the position were the play is found to be ok,and maintaine its
position under all circumstances. Even when the bearings innerrace and the
washer are spinning due to a brakedown it shall manage to stay in position.I
belive a castlenut locked by a cotter pin is a good solution.

Best regards
Øyvind Bakken