[DeTomaso] Who is going to be at WOT long enough toneedFancySchmantzy Race Oil? 6- PANTERA OIL

Mark McWhinney msm at portata.com
Thu Oct 4 14:21:54 EDT 2007

I spoke with Mike Drew about this very subject this summer.  The net of it
was that given the discussions of the Profiles & Newsletter changes last
year, that nobody wants to rock the boat again.  (Keep in mind that all of
this is all done with volunteer efforts and that we very fortunate to have
such dedicated people!)

Mike is also the publisher of the PCNC's monthly newsletter.  Although it is
printed in B&W, it is created as a full color PDF with large format,
high-resolution photos.  These newsletters are publicly available on the
PCNC web site.

http://www.panteraclubnorcal.com/articles.htm

This two-prong approach allows use to get information out to the PCNC folks
who still prefer paper-based communications with affordable B&W issues and
get good quality detailed photos and text out to those who like the Web for
free.  I have floated the ideal of going web-only with the PCNC folks to
reduce expenses, but there are too many people that like the old school
paper.

There have been discussions in the past of putting the POCA Profiles and/or
Newsletter on-line.  The problem with that it is that it takes away one of
the greatest incentives to join the club.  We could publish them in a
members-only section of the POCA web site, but that brings up other issues.

Another approach which I would like to push is a simple, no-cost solution
that is easy to implement.  We would continue publishing the Profiles and
Newsletters as we have been, but we would make the photos, diagrams, and
other media available on the POCA web site.  This would give people
incentive to join POCA for the articles and give them access to high quality
media.

Imagine this example -- Ken writes an article about "CR, Detonation, and
water injection".  The article includes photos of Ken's new injection
system, a diagram showing CR tradeoffs, and a dyno graph.  Jack publishes
the article as he normally would.  Ken or Jack e-mails the original
large-format, high-res photos, diagram, and dyno output files to the POCA
web master who pops them into a "photo album" archive on the POCA site which
is open to the public.  Ken also sends a nifty Excel spreadsheet that
estimates HP and a video clip of his new setup with plenty of vooom, vooom
sounds.  The POCA members get Jack's article plus the high quality media
plus the extra goodies at no extra cost.  Everyone on the DeTomaso forums
talks about Ken's cool new setup.  Matt sees the forum postings, sees the
pictures and video, and is so impressed he drives a POCA membership
application and check for $75 right over to Judy's house.