[DeTomaso] Wheel bearing issues

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 4 11:54:05 EDT 2007

Dick & Fred,
  Great stuff.....although I could use some more information on the dawg bone air filters and batteries if anyone else has that information ;-]>

  Dawg

F&D Terry <gt5s at bcpl.net> wrote:
  Hi Dick,

I don't think the list members are saturated with our conversation. I
think there is an interest for accurate technical information which
there is too little of on the list.

I do think the rear bearings have been talked through but I'll add that
I think taper bearings are now past technology. Modern cars are now
being equipped with cartridge type bearings for both front and rear
applications. These are usually packaged as double row sealed duplexed
bearings that have their preload/end play set when they are tightened in
place. I ran across an excellent cartridge type bearing that can be used
in the Pantera upright with minimal machining.

It is interesting that Corvette also specifies that the front taper
bearings be set with a 0 preload to .007" end movement when properly
adjusted. Most mechanics do use the tighten/loosten method but perhaps
this may come from from a certain laziness. I use the Corvette manual
for reference because it is handy. Other manuals are also specific in
front bearing adjustment. Corvette's outlined procedure calls for
tightening the spindle nut to 15ft. lbs., then backing off one flat on
the nut. This will yield the 0" to .007" end play. Other manuals suggest
that bearings be tightened so the wheel can be turned with a specific
value of torque.

I don't know what value that information has but there are probably some
on this list who may find it of interest. Let's keep posting some good
accurate technical information to the list. I think people enjoy it.

Fred T.