[DeTomaso] the first day (NUTS!)Wheel bearings

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 1 11:48:57 EDT 2007

On my cars I use the stock nut and remove the raised lip which is meant to be peened into the slot on the spindle.  The raised part is thin and will easily erode like yours did if something is not right.  Just a few minutes with a grinder and a file produces a regular nut.  I get a stamped steel castle retainer like that used on most cars from NAPA.  Fit everthing back together so you know the right location to drill a hole in the spindle for the cotter pin.  The metal is pretty soft and easy to drill.  It's a really simple mod, you can do both sides in a hour.  Works for me.
Michael
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa