[DeTomaso] Hazard warning switch

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Nov 30 00:45:11 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/29/07 5:47:36 PM, red3644 at hotmail.com writes:

> Dirty or broken contact I guess.  Can you get these apart?  Cleaning
> ideas?  Replace it with what?

Two weeks ago there was such a thread. On the back of the switch are metal
tabs; bend them straight and the body comes apart. The innards are spring-loaded
and a cam-groove is cut into the side of the body. A contactor rides in the
slot and makes contact with various points as its pushed in. What usually
happens is the plastic body swells as a result of 35 years of spring pressure and
the contactor pops out of the groove. I shimmed mine back into its groove;
others use a small hose clamp around the OD to squeeze the body back into a
cylinder rather than a barrel shape. If you absolutely cannot fix it, the switch
from an early '70s Alfa seems to be similar but with slightly different wire
posts. Good luck- J Deryke