[DeTomaso] selecting torque wrenches?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Nov 28 13:40:21 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/28/07 8:57:47 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I'm looking at torque wrenches have some questions.
>
>   1)  I know that in several occasions I've encountered pretty low torque
> specs, but I can't remember how low.  I've seen 1/4 inch wrenches with
> difference ranges.  I think a 30 to 200 inch pound sounds right.  Is there any need
> to go lower then 30 in lbs?
>
> The lowest torque generally used on the 351-C are the 1/4-20 grade-nothing
rocker cover bolts, and those are rated at 3-5 ft-lbs. Multiplying by 12 to give
inch-lbs, thats 36-60 inch-lbs on stock rocker cover bolts. Strangely, oil
pan bolts need 7-9 ft-lbs (84-108 in-lbs) and are the same bolts. Expect stock
pan bolts to occasionally shear with or without a torque wrench. Unless you
decide to torque some 10-32 screws somewhere on the car, your choice should work
fine.

Most digital wrenches (and other such devices) made by name-brand companies
will say 'coolant-proof' which means that if it slips out of your hand and
drops into a bucket of radiator drainings, it will still work. Short of dropping
the readout dial on a protruding bolt from considerable height, they are pretty
durable. But again, most name-brand tools have a good guarantee against dumb
things we do with tools, anyway. Try to avoid the ones that say 'made in (any
of 10 or 12 countries) instead of 'Made in U.S.A' as its difficult to follow
up on whatever guarantee there may seem to be. Good luck- J DeRyke