[DeTomaso] Earliest Outside Gas Filler ?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Nov 27 13:33:10 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/27/07 9:44:10 AM, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

> I have yet to give Art a ride in my Pantera, however.  Maybe after I do,
> with any luck, he'll volunteer to use my car as his next guinea pig!

One old time Pantera owner did such a thing to a friend who was a scoffing
Corvette owner. They both lived outside the L.A area so there were several
untravelled rural roads, one with a fairly long straight with an S- bend in it.
Just after the first apex was a very large live-oak tree. So the Pantera owner
practised a few times, then after yet another anti-Pantera session with his
'Vette buddy, he said 'C'mon- we're going for a little drive!' You guessed it-
around 80 mph, they approached the S-curve, which also had a bump in its center.
The Pantera hit the bump; without slowing and while they were slightly
airborn- straight for the tree, the owner twisted the steering wheel. As the car
landed, the front tires grabbed and the car instantly railed around the big tree
without slowing. At the end of the straight, he stopped the car and his
green-faced passenger scrambled out and threw up! The friendship endured but he
didn't hear much about the 'crummy handling Pantera' during their later
bench-racing get-togethers.... J DeRyke