[DeTomaso] Earliest Outside Gas Filler ?

www.ProvaMo.com Pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 26 20:16:39 EST 2007

2359

Yeah, but your car definitely didn't COME that way.  That's what Chuck is
trying to ascertain--the earliest car that came from the factory with the
outside filler.  I believe it came into play sometime around January 1973,
roughly coincidental (and totally coincidentally) with the change from the
two-pod to the one-pod dash.

Mike

I believe this upgrade became part of regular production in Dec/Jan/Feb
(VINs from 50XX and on).

I know that 4580 (Nov 1972) has it, but there are holes punched in the metal
for both types of gills.

A prototype/transition car maybe.

When the parts were still available it was an expensive upgrade.  The
outside gill (with door), the left engine cover,

(of which there are several prototypes or variations), the connector hose,
and mouth, are necessary.

(I remember costs like $1,300)  One also needs to remove and turn the gas
tank neck.

Then punch a hole in the body (where this round stamping is on many cars).

I am aware of one car earlier than 4580 (but close) with the outside filler.
I wish I had taken photos and better notes when I had the chance.

Anyway, I’d still like to hear from ANYONE that has a car with this feature
with a VIN less than 5,000.

(And I’d like to see some general photos of the car, like the typical
Registry entry, so I can make some educated guesses.)

Chuck

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:50 AM