[DeTomaso] 97 Ford ignition problem--NPC

pantdino at aol.com pantdino at aol.com
Sat Nov 24 23:03:19 EST 2007

Hi, Everyone,

Sorry to bother you all, but I'm hoping you can offer some advice re my son's 1997 Ford Explorer w the 4.0 L SOHC motor.? It began acting up a couple of months ago, turning over rapidly but not starting sometimes. New battery no help. One time it wouldn't start despite multiple attempts but then would start fine a few hours later. Not related to temperature.

I was never able to examine the car until it refused to start at all.? A timing light attached to a plug lead does not light up. I do smell gas a little. So I think the ignition is kaputt.

There is a rectangular box on the top, rear of the engine from which all 6 spark plug wires arise. This is apparently called the coil, and the car does not have an ignition module, according to the parts guy at Pep Boys.

The coil costs $90, so I'd hate to buy another one and find it's not the problem.

Does the car use a crank trigger that could be defective?

Anybody have experience with this same problem on Fords?

Sorry to bother you all, but I haven't had much luck with repair manuals being of any use.

Jim Oddie