[DeTomaso] LED drop in replacement bulb info

David & Marilyn Bell davidabell at worldnet.att.net
Thu Nov 22 01:35:31 EST 2007

I don't buy the generalization that LED bulbs are unsuitable substitutes for
OEM incandescent bulbs - especially when it comes from a guy who appears to
make his living selling specialized incandescent bulbs.  I won't pretend to
be an expert on the physics of LED optics, but I will say that from direct
visual comparison at least 'some' LED bulbs have clearly superior brightness
to OEM incandescent bulbs.  This opinion is not just mine, but literally
from every person who has seen the LED bulbs installed on my Pantera.   The
eyeballs of a fair number of Houston based Homo sapiens register the LEDs as
brighter and therefore more visible.  And since the brake pedals of trailing
vehicles are pressed by the feet of fellow Homo sapiens based on visual cues
(rather than some automatic photo cell trigger), then I guess I don't really
care whether someone's light meter says that the intensity of a LED might be
less.

I'll admit that all LED bulbs are clearly not created equal - some are very
good, some are not so good, and many are much weaker than incandescent
bulbs.  It is also virtually impossible to know before purchase &
installation whether you have a good, bad, or worthless bulb.  The LED sales
people are often either clueless or outright liars (don't even ask how much
money I've spent on rejected LED bulbs).  But good LED bulbs are available
for automotive use.  In particular, the LED brake lights in the Space City
Pantera kit are so bright that they will literally cause a photo spot shadow
in your field of vision if you make the mistake of starring at them for a
couple of seconds.

Additional non-trivial benefits of LED technology are virtually no current
load and incredibly low heat output - both are good things for
thirtysomething vehicles like Panteras.

I ain't goin' back....

Muscat Dave