[DeTomaso] Best valve spring compressor and keep the valves in place

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Nov 21 03:02:25 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/20/07 9:52:46 PM, SOBill at aol.com writes:

> The articles always shown the valves being held closed by compressed air
> with the piston at TDC. This isn't that simple, if the piston is not at exact
> TDC, 100psi of air will likely make the crank rotate forward or backward.....

Same thing happens during a leak-down test, or when trying to torque the
harmonic balancer bolt to 100 ft-lbs in the car. I've had good luck with a long
pry bar thru the bellhousing access hole, into the clutch parts. Once done and
the flywheel rotated slightly with the front crank-bolt so the bar is tight
against the side of the housing, zero rotation will occur. Cheers- J DeRyke,
shade-tree mechanic