[DeTomaso] 69 Goose Rear Suspension

Dickruzzindesign at aol.com Dickruzzindesign at aol.com
Tue Nov 20 10:06:53 EST 2007

Daryl,
The one major adjustment that you can make to the Mangusta rear suspension is
to compress or decompress the springs. If your shocks are threaded and you
have two big nuts on each that are the platform that the bottom of the springs
rest on then you can raise and lower the car by shortening or lengthening the
springs. As the springs are made shorter the ride gets harsher and the car will
rise. Of course the engine and transmission goes with it.

What you have to pay attention to as you adjust the rear springs is the
impact harshness, front to rear, the balance.
Some cars originally had adjustable front and rear coil over shocks. When I
bought my Konis only the rears came adjustable.

I adjusted the rear coils to match the fronts for impact harshness, the car
rode and handled very well but the rear was too low. I solved this by cutting
the eye off of the top of the shocks and welding a piece of threaded rod to it.
I then welded a long nut to match the threaded rod to the top of the spring
keeper. This allowed me to adjust the length of the shock without adjusting the
spring.

I ended up with good balanced impact harshness front to rear with the rear
shocks about an inch longer than stock.

Your car sounds a little low but if you can get away with it then fine.

All the best,
Dick Ruzzin
_______________________________DickruzzinDESIGN at aol.com
920 Whittier Rd.
Grosse Pointe Park, MI 48230
Phone: +313-824-0539 / Cell: +313-300-9558