[DeTomaso] [NPC] Can you get a key-less entry fob with just the VIN for a Chevy van?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Nov 18 15:49:28 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/18/07 12 38 36, Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se writes:

> Is it possible to get a new fob in the US using just the VIN, or any
> other method that does not involve shipping the car or last fob over to
> the US?

I have helped my old roommate out with a similar problem.   She bought a
Mercedes and lost one of the $200 keys and needed a replacement.   Dealers and
manufacturers are very sensitive about this sort of thing.   She actually had to
come back to the USA and show her ID, registration and copy of the vehicle
title before they would sell her a key.

I just tried to phone the Chevy dealer in town, but their parts department is
closed on weekends (uh, hello, isn't the weekend when most people are
repairing their own cars?)

I'll try to phone 'em tomorrow and find out what, if anything, can be done.