[DeTomaso] Cleaning valve cover gasket cork off the heads?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Nov 17 19:18:17 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/17/07 16 00 11, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

> I tried putting a piece of masking tape over it to give it something to
> stick to, then scraping with a chisel, but that doesn't work so well.  The
> only other think I can think of is scraping the best I can, then getting in
> and vacuuming out the bits that fall in.

Stuff the top of the cylinder head area with clean rags, which will hopefully
trap the majority of the debris you will create.   You will then have to
carefully remove whatever else might have gotten past the rags.

Permatex makes a fantastic spray-on gasket remover which attacks the cork
gasket material, and makes scraping them off a cinch.   Be careful with the stuff
because it also attacks engine paint.