[DeTomaso] Hazard Warning Switch Issues - Part 2

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Sat Nov 17 19:16:22 EST 2007

Chris,

In the OEM system, the turn indicator light  in the tach is wired in a fairly
subtle way. The indicator lamp filament is  wired BETWEEN the left and right
turn signal lamp power feeds. Whichever  direction you are turning applies 12V
to one side of the indicator lamp and the  filaments of the turn signal lamps
for the direction you are not turning provide  the ground path for the
indicator lamp. This works because the indictor lamp  current is so low relative to
the signal lamp currents that the signal  lamps which provide the ground path
do not glow.

IF you have converted to an LED turn signal indicator lamp,  the indicator
will not work correctly unless the wiring in this area is  modified by adding
two diodes to feed the positive input to the LED  and adding a direct ground
connection to the negative of the  LED.

A diagram of the required circuit modifications is posted at

BTW, this circuit mod is needed if you use the OEM incandescent  indicator
lamp with LED signal lamps. The LED signal lamps will ALL flash for  turns in
either direction if the OEM indicator lamp is used without this  modification.

If you use LED's for the turn signal lamps, you will also need to  replace
the OEM flasher with an electronic flasher which is not dependent on the  turn
signal lamp currents to make it cycle.

Simple, ain't it?

Have fun,

SOBill  Taylor
sobill at aol.com

In a message dated 11/17/2007 3:57:10 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,