[DeTomaso] Fw: Front End Jacking Tool

Mark McWhinney msm at portata.com
Sat Nov 17 12:56:04 EST 2007

It's a work of art.

-----Original Message-----
From: detomaso-bounces at realbig.com [mailto:detomaso-bounces at realbig.com] On
Behalf Of John Bentley (jab)
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2007 3:16 PM
To: Art Stephens; detomaso at realbig.com
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Fw: Front End Jacking Tool

Nice job, Art.

JB

-----Original Message-----
From: detomaso-bounces at realbig.com [mailto:detomaso-bounces at realbig.com]
On Behalf Of Art Stephens
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2007 3:06 PM
To: detomaso at realbig.com
Subject: [DeTomaso] Fw: Front End Jacking Tool

     Well,  it only took me ten years to get around to it,  but I
finally did it.  After years of using two jacks to get the front end of
the car up on jack stands,  I finally made a fixture to use with only
one jack to get the front end up.  It really works well for me,  I am
quite happy with the results.  You can see pictures of it at the link
below.  I have no front air dam,  so I don't know if that would present
a problem or not.  The fixture has bowed slightly,  either from lifting
the car or from excessive heat during welding?  At this point,  I have
no worries about the fixture bending so much as to become unsafe,  but I
will keep an eye on it.  It should be easy enough to beef it up if
necessary.  Please excuse the somewhat hideous welds,  doh!  The
material I used was 1.125" round stock and 1.5" x .75"  x .120"
rectangular tubing.  One of my floor jacks is way too tall to get the
fixture under the car.  My shorter floor jack,  almost fits.  It is
almost 3.5"  with the saddle removed and almost 4.5" with the saddle in
place.  It looks like my car needs a jack that is about 3" tall without
the saddle.  Looks like a good excuse to buy an new jack! :-))).  There
may be better solutions out there,  but this is the best I could come up
with.

Art

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2892382570099754276wUaEBF