[DeTomaso] Does anyone know what happened?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Nov 17 03:22:46 EST 2007

Bob,

That car never had a salvage title.   It was destroyed in Canada, then sold
to Florida, with a clean title, repaired, and then bounced from one owner to
another.

Having said that, for a long time it was possible, if you knew how, to
re-title a car in a particular state (Alabama I think), and the 'salvage' would go
away.   This is called 'washing' a title.

The feds cracked down hard on them a few years ago so it's probably much more
difficult.

I recently saw a Pantera that was built from the pieces of two wrecks.   It
was given a new, clean title in Arizona, but both De Tomaso VINS were
confiscated, and the car was issued a non-De Tomaso VIN (just a seemingly random series
of characters and digits) conforming to the current (longer) standard.