[DeTomaso] 351 C Building Advice for Forced AIr and EFI

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Nov 16 13:28:11 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/16/07 6:56:53 AM, claywillmott at hotmail.com writes:

> Should I get an aussie block for higher nickel content? Does that even
> matter? It would be 500$ plus shipping but I can get a working 70's mustang 351 C
> for about 500$ and delivered by a friend for free.  I realize I would likely
> only use the block from this for my appplication?

The very first thing one looks for in a block for a blown application is a
nice strong lower end. A std 351C does not have that. Secondarily, a strong
cylinder wall to absorb the higher pressures when running, and the liklely
preignition/detonation when first getting the blower-with-EFI tuned; again, the std
351C does not have that. I'd definitely go with tha aussie block which should
have siamesed bores and much stronger main bearing mounts (not just the caps!).
Be careful- not all blocks from australia are 'aussie-cast' blocks!   I'd
also recommend a forged steel crank, forged pistons and aftermarket con-rods.
Yes, I know a few people have worked around this with std 351Cs- usually for
around 6 psi max-boost. I also know of a bunch of blocks laying in recycling piles
with the main webs blown out, holes thru the cylinders and other failure
points. Good luck- J DeRyke