[DeTomaso] 351 C Building Advice for Forced AIr and EFI

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Nov 16 10:02:54 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/16/07 6 56 53, claywillmott at hotmail.com writes:

> Thanks for any input.  It seems to me a supercharged 351 C with forged
> rods/pistons and high pressure gaskets at 10-15 PSI would be reliable way (If
> that exists) to achieve high power and torque with longevity for street and show
> use.

That sounds like a reasonable proposition.   Yet I have yet to hear of a
truly *successful* example.   I have known several people who have (or had) motors
that fit your description; they proved to be problematic while failing to
deliver on their considerable promise, in some cases delivering substantially
less power than a well-tuned, well-built non-supercharged 351C.

That's not to say it's impossible to achieve what you're after.   It will
just prove difficult, I think.

I have seen/driven some truly awful turbo 351Cs too, but if you get them
right (as Dave Doddek has), apparently they can be quite good.   Presumably the
same is true of supercharged 351Cs.