[DeTomaso] 351 C Building Advice for Forced AIr and EFI

clay willmott claywillmott at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 16 09:55:59 EST 2007

I wish to start a 351 C engine building project for a turbo or super charged application with EFI.  I have 2-3 years to do this and I plan to do piece by piece for financial and time constraints.

Should I get an aussie block for higher nickel content? Does that even matter? It would be 500$ plus shipping but I can get a working 70's mustang 351 C for about 500$ and delivered by a friend for free.  I realize I would likely only use the block from this for my appplication?

Any advice on which parts and style to acquire first, would like to be able to minimize risk of higher rpms with better parts.  I also do not plan to change bore/stroke but use forced air to improve power.  If I am to use forced air induction should I use 4 V heads?
The more I read about different heads the more it is confusing on which ones to buy.  It appears turbos are easier to position in the engine bay but I would prefer a supercharger although I cannot perform the maneuvers Dave has done myself.

Thanks for any input.  It seems to me a supercharged 351 C with forged rods/pistons and high pressure gaskets at 10-15 PSI would be reliable way (If that exists) to achieve high power and torque with longevity for street and show use.

Clay