[DeTomaso] [NPC] Air pressure regulator

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Fri Nov 16 09:41:52 EST 2007

Hey Mark

I recently did the same.  Sears just rolled out a new two-stage 80 gal model
that they offered on sale through the Craftsmen Club. I'd been looking for
an upgrade for some time to replace my obnoxiously noisy smaller unit.  This
appeared to be a better deal than most I have seen.  Another local Pantera
guy also picked one up for his garage.

I researched the laying of the lines and benefits verses cautions of
different pipe.  In the end, I went with 1/2" PVC due to cost.  It matches
my higher risk profile.  The 1/2" PVC is rated for 600 lbs; although, I
understand it is usually the connectors that fail.  Of course, an advantage
of the preferred black iron pipe besides strength is that it better cools
the air, condensing out the moisture.  If your distances are short, the
price may not be unreasonable to do it right with black pipe.  FYI, black
pipe is preferred over galvanized that may flake over time and copper, which
is considered weaker.

It is best to have your regulator close to your outlet for the tool after
your line conditioners if possible.  This way you can adjust for line loss
and the 5 -10lbs of air loss through the conditioner and oiler if you use
one. However, my regulator is at the compressor because I am running PVC and
thought it best to reduce the line pressure.

You will also find that a dryer located adjacent to the compressor is
worthless.  It is better to place it in the line closer to your outlet where
the air has had an opportunity to cool.  I did manage that.  I run my
regulator about 10lbs higher to address pressure loss in the lines.

It is best to run loops for the blast cabinet and another dryer at the
entrance of the line into the cabinet.  Again, if the air is hot at the
dryer, the dryer will be ineffective.

I used to have my dryer right after the regulator on my old compressor, it
never had any moisture in it.  That changed after I moved it further away.

Good luck with the plumbing.

JT