[DeTomaso] Fwd:  New Product!

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Nov 15 21:39:17 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/15/07 12 17 5, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

>   I wonder why the gull wing Mercedes were made that way?  Maybe the roof
> cut outs were required for an average height driver to get in?
>
>>>The chassis of the gullwing Mercedes features huge structures on either
side of the driver, that occupy the space ordinarily taken up by a conventional
door.   The gullwing solution was a practical answer to the problem, as well
as a styling feature.

> Was that the reason for the doors on the GT40?
>
>>>They have a similar issue--the sills are very structural and contain the
fuel tanks.   That leaves you with a half-height door; the only way to get a
human into the car is to have part of the roof incorporated into the door.

BTW when you slam the door with your head sticking out a bit too far, it's
quite noticeable....