[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 40, Issue 15-700 TO 880 HP

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 15:41:37 EST 2007

Bob,

  Agree with you on breaking things when you drive hard....Having watched Greg in competition I can't think of anyone who drives a Pantera any harder on the west coast.

   I may not have my facts straight but I thought Greg's 'challenges' were breaking gears... not twisting input shafts.

  I am not surprised Greg could twist input shafts in hard track competition. But Junior  told me he 'never' had a problem in ORR with his ZF breaking gears or breaking the input shaft 'except' when he got airborne then  came down in gear and broke it. Otherwsie his opinion was the ZF was the strongest link in the chain.

  md

RCBSONS1 at aol.com wrote:
  Ken,
If you are real worried about the ZF holding together
ask Mr. Escahoff about his 750hp motor that keeps
twisting imput shafts... I have found that most cars
that are above 600hp and DRIVEN HARD will start breaking
things... many of my buddies have backed things down
a little so they are not fixing the car all the time.... it is
like a chain looking for the weak link... trans, clutch, half shafts,
wheel studs.... etc, etc

Backing down from 1000 to 700 or 800 hp won't make a lot
of difference if you lean on it hard

Bob Benson (tired of breaking things)