[DeTomaso] Fwd: New Product!

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 15:38:58 EST 2007

> Don't mind Mike, I suspect he's just a function drives form guy who can't see
> any functional reason to have the doors pivot up from the front.  I suppose in
> Italy, where 100% employment is a national goal, things like this are viewed
> as socially responsible because they create jobs?  Sure seems like it would
> make sealing tough.

Ever tried to park a wide car like a Lambo in a city in Italy or England?
The roads are narrow and the parking spots even narrower.  Gotta leave it
neutral so you can roll it out of the parking spot to open the doors.  I
remember seeing a Ford Lightning in England and thinking what a pain it
would be to park anywhere.  Then I walked around it to see a big crease
down the side.

> Was that the reason for the doors on the GT40?

That was for LeMans starts where the driver has to run to the parked car,
jump in and drive off.  Those doors have to swing wide open before you
can get in and out which makes parking a new Ford GT an adventure.  Park
one in a lot away from the rest of the cars and someone will invariably
park next to you close enough you can't get your doors open.

Dan Jones